- Albania’s Long Road into the European Union
- Internal political power struggle blocks central reforms
- Albania wants to join the EU. The country hopes for a positive evaluation from the EU Commission in its October progress report and to be awarded candidate status in time for the 100th anniversary of Albanian independence. But this seems doubtful. Fierce polarization between the governing Democratic Party and the opposition Socialist Party has so far prevented rapid advances in the reform process.
- Category: European Union, Enlargement Process, Europe, Albania
- Crossing Borders
- Rethinking the European Union’s Neighborhood Policies
- The debt crisis calls for the EU’s full attention – and threatens to supplant the fact that urgent action is needed on Europe’s periphery. The revolutions in North Africa demand answers; further EU enlargement needs to be planned and implemented. There are many common topics that link the European Union and its neighbors, from energy to migration. Thus, cross-border space must be created in which EU policies on a range of topics can be further developed
- Category: European Neighbourhood Policy (ENP), Eastern Partnership, European Union, Europe, Eastern Europe