We regularly look for dedicated interns to support us in the areas in which we work.
Applications are open to these students and trainees:
Those for whom practical work experience is an integral part of their university or training program or for whom internships are a prerequisite for admission or their examinations. Such a compulsory internship can last up to 6 months.
Those who wish to acquire skills, knowledge, abilities, and professional experience in terms of Paragraph 26 of Germany‘s Vocational Training Act (BBiG), without this being vocational training. Such a voluntary/orientation internship can last up to 3 months.
Eligible applicants also include:
Students pursuing a bachelor‘s or master‘s degree for whom an internship would be related to their major
Students who have received their bachelor‘s degree and who can prove they are applying to a master‘s program
Applications from graduates who have completed their bachelor‘s or master‘s studies can unfortunately not be considered. Regrettably, DGAP cannot offer interns monetary compensation. Please email applications, including a CV and letter of motivation, as a PDF or JPG to the respective contact persons listed below.
Internships in the Research Institute
Interested students have the opportunity to complete an internship in one of the programs of DGAP’s Research Institute. To apply, please contact the representative of the program you are particularly interested in directly. The specific tasks involved in any internship will be discussed individually with program staff before work is begun.
- Alfred von Oppenheim Center for European Policy Studies: Contact person: Leonie Stamm email@example.com (The AOZ is currently not offering any internships.)
- France/Franco-German Relations Program: Contact person: Jacob Ross: firstname.lastname@example.org
(Selection process closed for the time being; we expect to open applications again for summer and the second half of 2023)
- International Order and Democracy Program: Contact person: Alena Epifanova: email@example.com (This program is currently not offering any internships.)
- Migration Program: We currently do not offer internships but will resume reviewing applications in fall 2022. If you are interested in an internship in the Migration Program, please send your cover letter, resume, and other relevant documents (letters of recommendation, transcripts, etc.) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Security and Defense Program: email@example.com (This program is currently not offering any internships.)
- Technology and Global Affairs Program: firstname.lastname@example.org (Applications are currently being accepted for Q2 and Q3 2023.)
Internships in DGAP’s Research Institute are primarily intended for students of political science, social science, and related fields who have a particular interest in scholarly work and research.
Applicants should fulfill the following criteria, with specific requirements depending on the particular program:
- Experience in scholarly work and research
- Proficiency in standard operating systems as well as Word, Excel, and similar programs
- Good knowledge of the English language, and optionally other language skills (related to the specific field/program)
- Experience in event organization
- Interest in the core research topics of DGAP
Internship in the Editorial Offices of Internationale Politik
- Primarily: active participation in the production of Germany’s leading foreign policy journal, including researching and planning topics, translating, editing and proofreading texts as necessary, compiling data material for graphics
- As needed: participation in editorial meetings, brainstorming sessions, conferences
- A little: office work
- Never: making copies and coffee
- Strong interest in international politics and journalism
- Very good English skills
- Native German language skills
- Independent, determined, and efficient working style
- Hands-on and open personality
Internships usually last for two months. We look forward to receiving your application for periods starting in September 2023. Please send your application via email as a PDF with a cover letter, your CV, and, if available, relevant references.