Senior Research Fellow in / Head of Technology and Foreign Policy (m/f/d)
At the earliest possible date and limited to three years, we are looking for a Senior Research Fellow in / Head of Technology and Foreign Policy (100%, according to TVöD E 14/15, depending on personal qualification).
The German Council on Foreign Relations (DGAP) provides research and strategic advice on current topics and trends in German foreign policy. As an independent, non-partisan, and non-profit organization of experts and members, it has been shaping the foreign policy debate in Germany for more than 60 years and contributes to the international communication of German policy.
DGAP has identified technology and foreign policy as one of its five core themes and is expanding its research and consulting activities in this area. It aims to bundle existing projects with a technology focus and establish a separate research area devoted to it. We are looking for a leader for this task at the earliest possible date.
The interdependency between technology and international politics determines the research this area. Impact, innovation and diffusion of technologies are always embedded in and influenced by social, economic and (security) political contexts. Technologies can change the spheres of and options for action, as well as the goals of international actors. With publications and events, this research area aims to contribute to strengthening the exchange between politics, industry and civil society and to make recommendations for German and European technology policy.
- Managing and further developing this core theme at DGAP (strategy, content, personnel, and finances);
- Contributing your own scientific research and publications in this field;
- Advising decision-makers in politics, business, and civil society;
- Fundraising for the diversification and sustainable financing of this theme;
- Public relations work including commenting in the media;
- Establishing and maintaining international partnerships and networks;
- Coordinating in-house work and research projects on and beyond this theme
Your background and skills:
- University degree (preferably doctorate) in natural sciences, economics or social sciences or any other relevant discipline
- At least five years of professional experience in research and advising on policy, including pub-lications and research in fields relevant to geo-economics;
- Confidence in dealing with projects in the political arena (communication, coordination, re-porting, management);
- At least five years of experience in a leading position, including responsibility for personnel and budget;
- Fundraising experience;
- An excellent network in politics, academia, and civil society in Germany and Europe;
- Extensive media experience in the form of interviews, op-eds, etc.;
- Very good knowledge of German and English, both written and spoken; knowledge of another European language would be an advantage;
- Strong team spirit.
What we offer:
- A responsible, exciting, and varied job in an open-minded team in a dynamic organization.
- Contact with national and international personalities from politics, business, media, and civil society.
- Flexible working hours.
We are looking forward to talking with you!
If you have any questions regarding the content of the position, please contact Georgios Kolliarakis (email@example.com; +49 (0)30 254231-182). We look forward to receiving your detailed application including certificates and information on your earliest possible starting date. Please send it as a PDF file to the attention of Dr. Daniela Schwarzer (firstname.lastname@example.org). The application deadline is April 5, 2020. Please note that only applicants who are invited to a selection interview will be contacted.